Slidebars come in three pieces and the instructions say to tack solder them at the front only. I presume this is to avoid solder in the slide slot which may impede the smooth flow of the Crosshead. The Slidebar is at the bottom of the picture:
The scary bits are at the top of the picture; the Crossheads. Now I know the instructions say to read the instructions etc. etc... But by the time I've got to page 6, I've forgotten most of page 5, and so on... So despite the instructions, I removed the pieces from the etch. Mainly because they seemed to be flopping around when I'd removed some other pieces, not out of any perversity you understand. Some very flimsy rings have to be reamed out to slide over the 0.7mm rod and then folded over on half etched hinges to make three layers. I managed to break two lots of hinges whilst reaming, but subsequently the whole lot did get soldered onto the rod.
Having done this, another piece has to be soldered on square and with the minimum of solder so as not to obscure some tiny holes. Here I failed; the pieces are square, but the holes are full of solder! Nevermind; I shall drill them out. Anyway the Crossheads do slide nicely in the Slidebars. The instructions tell me not to fit all this to the chassis yet as there is more work to be done. Oh crikey!!
Seriously though, this is some of the hardest fabrication I have had to do. It has required constant concentration and effort, but the results are more than worth it. Bear in mind the whole assembly is smaller than your thumbnail (unless you have particularly dainty hands).
The Crosshead sticking through the cylinder block. Not as painful as it sounds.
The Crosshead in the Slidebar; all slippy and super smooth. Don't sneeze though...
The other thing to mention is that this will be my first DCC loco; I've decided to take the plunge! Fingers crossed!!!!