Another activity which pulls the strings for me is using the Piercing Saw. Now I haven't had this bit of kit out of late, but progress on the D49 means that I am now in a position to remove the metal components which currently straddle the chassis sideframes. Gently pulling the blade over the metal etches and feeling the cut, almost as easy as a knife through butter, is satisfaction made physical.
So the D49 moves slowly forward. The spacers were fabricated and drilled and gapped. On the whole their placing was relatively straightforward. The instruction warn that one of the drive gears is close to a spacer and care is needed. In reality I found that the space allowed was fairly generous and ought not to cause a problem. A couple of spacers had to be soldered down between the frames flush with some half-etched lines (to subsequently mount the brake-gear). I found this quite tricky and a couple of tabs in the frames to aid location might have been a good idea. Anyway I persevered and they're in the right place now. I hope!